OUR OLIVE OIL PRESS
Our farmyard is not the only attraction; the best surprise awaits for you inside! Our old olive press, built in 1882 at the village of Vrouha, was carried intact onto our farm's premises, together with different objects of that period and our factory's wooden, handmade door, which we placed onto the wall.
Everything has been re-assembled as found in its original environment; the threshing floor with its four stones and its elaborate rotating mechanism that catches the visitor's eye; the loft with the big hopper that holds five 'muzuria" (50kg) of olives; the old ladder, the yoke to which the donkey that makes the stones go round is harnessed and even the oil-lamp that used to light the factory (when production had to start before dawn) - its all there! Just beside these, is the 'winch' that turns the 'bozergatis' round, and with it, the press itself. Beneath the press, is the 'dgisviera' which is where the 'mantiles' the cloth shacks full of olive pulp are hung. In front is the cask to receive the running olive oil. Right across from the press on the wall, the space of "Ladas", the production supervisor, with his little table, dish, drinking glass, lamp and chair - all original items.
In 2014 and after ten years and more than 200.000 visitors we decided it was time to revive our traditional 19th century factory.
During the process, we encountered many obstacles, but getting to know how our ancestors produced the ''healing olive oil'', according to Hippocrates, was our reward.
We chose our most natural and organic olives, and by harvesting them young (before they fully ripen), we wanted to produce a special, more nutritious olive oil called ''young oil'' (agourida). We ground up the olives with our traditional stone mill (without the use of a donkey) and finally pressed with our 130 year old press.